Monday, October 20, 2014

Homemade Apple Pie



What's more comforting in the fall than warm apple pie? Absolutely nothing. If you have a different answer to this, I question your sanity. My baking really picks back up in the fall when the colder weather comes around. It's not so fun working in front of a hot oven in the summer. That's when I like to be outside and enjoy the sun while I can. Now, it's all about staying inside and cozying up with my favorite comfort foods. 

My big thing is making food with love. I don't like to take any shortcuts. If you really put your heart into whatever your making, it shows through the dish. I do whatever I can to make everything from scratch and try to use all organic, good quality products. Great ingredients will always produce better results. 

My pie crust is made with 3 simple ingredients. Cream cheese, flour, and butter. My grandma gave me this recipe years ago. It was nice to see a pie crust that didn't require any Crisco (vegetable shortening). It's just something I rather not use. 

My pie filling was made with apples from this years apple picking trip. I used a combination of all the different apples I took home. I find that the more combinations you use, the better it is. Theres a different, sweet flavor in every bite. 

This apple pie has been eaten for breakfast, lunch and dinner the past 2 days. As soon as it's finished I'll definitely be making another one. 


Pie Crust  

1 stick of butter 

4 oz of cream cheese 

1 cup of flour 

1 Egg (for egg wash) 

Pinch of Sugar


Pie Filling

6-9 Apples of  your choice 

2 Tablespoons of Brown Sugar 

2 Tablespoons of Cinnamon 

1/4 Cup of flour 

3/4 Cup of Sugar 





Pie Crust










1. Place your flour on a clean board. Take the butter and cream cheese and cut into cubes. Place on top of the pile of flour. 

2. Take a clean butter knife and chop the butter and cream cheese while combing in into the flour until it resembles a crumbly texture. 

3. With your hands, form the crumbly mixture into a dough like ball. Do not incorporate to much, this way we get a flakey crust. Smooth out any parts that are still dry with flour. 

4. Place the dough ball in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. 



Pie Filling







1. Peel apples and cut into chunks. 

2. Place the apple chunks into a large bowl. Add in cinnamon, brown sugar, sugar, and flour . 

3. Work the mixture together with your hands to make sure it is all incorporated evenly.

4. Place into pie dish of your choice. 

5. When the pie crust is ready, roll out until it is large enough to cover the top of the pie dish and hanging over the edges a little bit. While rolling out, add flour as needed so the dough does not stick and tear. 

6. Beat the egg in a small bowl. With a brush, dip in the egg wash and lightly coat the top of the dough. Take a pinch of sugar and dust it over the top of the crust. This will create that golden shine while it is baking.  

7. Cut a few slits in the top for ventilation 

8. Place in a 350 degree oven for one hour. When the pie is done, let it set for 20 minutes. 

9. Enjoy! 


Making apple pie is so much fun and can be easy to do. I love to have it with a side of vanilla ice cream and pour some homemade caramel over the top. It gets me through the cold nights and makes them a little bit more bearable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment