Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Surviving the Cold

Great hair day weather is so hard to come by. There has to be no wind, no humidity, and between 55 to 70 degrees outside. Unless you live in California, this isn't happening very often. At the moment in New York, we can feel the temperature making that dramatic shift and dropping down into sweater weather zone. As much as I love sweaters and boots, I don't love the fact that my hair is static electricity central. As soon as I put my coat on or sweatshirt over my head, my hair sticks out like I'm a porcupine. The lack of moisture in the air doesn't help either. It's brittle hair for days. Unless I really take care of it, breakage and dryness takes over. I try to avoid all of these unpleasant situations as much as I can by having a solid hair regime at home. With the right products and steps taken, you can  keep your hair healthy and manageable during the cold seasons. 


1. Lay off on the shampoo 
                    I'm not saying to never wash your hair or take a shower. Just cut it back to 2-3 times a week and use a shower cap. Washing almost every day strips your hair of its natural oils, causing it to dry out. Our scalp secretes oils for a reason, They are our bodies natural moisturizers. On days you feel a little oily, opt for a dry shampoo. It will soak up the oils and incorporate volume back into your hair. What I like to do is use some dry shampoo on the day that I've washed my hair. This way the oils are soaked up right away and I can wait a little longer between washings. Some great dry shampoos are Pret-a-Powder by Bumble and Bumble and Dry Clean Only by Sebastian. 

2. Deep condition 
                     This is such an underestimated, overlooked task. Deep conditioning really makes a huge difference and doesn't take that long. I have a lot of clients that say they just don't have the time for that one extra task. Deep conditioning can be done in ten minutes while your taking a shower. As soon as you get in, wash you hair and the apply your deep conditioner. By the time your done with your shower, it will be time to rinse it out. My favorite way to deep condition my hair is overnight. I wash my hair right before bed, towel dry very well and apply my deep conditioner. When I wake up in the morning, I rinse it out and continue my usual styling. It's that simple. Some of the conditioners I like to use are Creme de Cocoa and Quenching by Bumble and Bumble. These are for more thicker hair. If you prefer something lightweight, Masque Force Architecte by Kerastase is moisturizing without being heavy. It is also great for women who highlight due to the reparative properties.  

3. Use post-shower products
                       It's common to think all you need is a good shampoo and conditioner to keep your hair manageable. These products are just the first step. Using products after you wash your hair is also important. It's the final step to de-frizz and tame down. 
               
                  For straight or wavy hair- An oil or leave-in conditioner is great. An oil will seal all the fly ways down while the leave-in conditioner provides extra moisture. These products can be used together for hair that is especially unruly. My favorite oil is the Elixir Ultime by Kerastase, which has also won the award for Best Of Beauty by Allure Magazine. My choice for leave in conditioner is the Nectar Thermique by Kerastase. If you prefer something light, Ciment Thirmique by Kerastase is also a great choice. 

                    For curly hair -  Bumble and Bumble has an awesome line just for curly hair. From shampoo to mousse, they have it. Curls get especially dry in the winter due to the natural oils not being able to travel down the coils of our hair. When I say our, I am speaking from experience. My hair is a curly mess so I understand the struggles. My favorite product to use is the curl cream. It holds curl while adding extra moisture. They have the cream for both fine hair and coarse hair to give you a variety of options. 


Following these simple steps are easy ways to keep your hair manageable during the upcoming seasons. Good luck and stay warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment