Sunday, October 5, 2014

Easy Homemade Caramel



Finally, the crisp fall weather is here. I have this weird thing where I can't make any fall related foods unless the weather is in tune with it. I don't want to eat an apple or pumpkin pie when its over 70 degrees, it just doesn't feel right to me. Even though caramel isn't only meant for fall, it still falls in the category of what I think fall foods contain. Caramel is one of those indulgences you cant get enough of. I can easily eat a whole jar by itself and still want more. When I took a dessert class at Sur La Table back in January, caramel was one of the topping I learned to make. Being someone who likes to play in the kitchen, I took the recipe home and moved around some measurements and ingredients. I like to try and figure out ways to make original recipes better and put my own spin on things. After tweaking things a bit, it finally came out with the perfect caramel sauce thats quick to make when i'm craving a sweet topping. 




Caramel Sauce


6 Tablespoons of Granulated Sugar 

2 Tablespoons of Water

1 1/2 Tablespoons of Salted Butter 

1/4 cup of Heavy Cream 



Place a saucepan onto the stove. Combine the sugar and water together and turn the flame on medium high. Watch until the sugar and water starts to boil. When you see the mixture bubbling, swirl the pan occasionally until it turns a deep amber color. Once it turns deep amber, remove the pan from heat 
and whisk in butter. After butter is incorporated, whisk in heavy cream. Transfer the caramel to a non-plastic container and cool to room temperature. The caramel will last in the fridge up to 2 weeks.










If more is needed you can always double or triple the recipe. I hope you enjoy this caramel as much as I do. I warn you, it's very addicting.













No comments:

Post a Comment