Friday, January 1, 2016

Life Changing Brownies





New Years Day. It's currently 3:48 PM and I'm still in my pajamas. Some people would think that's irresponsible and unacceptable but I really don't care. My energy today is limited. I'm pretty sure the rest of you are in the same boat though. I'm assuming this day is filled with alot of hangovers and regrets from celebrating the New Year. So, I'm bringing something to you that might not totally cure your hangover, but you definitely wont regret making. Brownies.

This recipe is adapted from the Barefoot Contessa herself, the queen, Ina Garten. To me, she's fabulous in every way. I have yet to try a recipe from her that didn't widen my eyes or warm up my heart. I bring her recipes into my home from her amazing cook books and continue to please hungry stomachs with them.   

These brownies don't taste like regular, store bought, box made brownies. I can't describe the looks of happiness I get when anyone bites into these. They are rich, chocolatey goodness that you wont be able to stop eating. They're also super easy to make. No mixer or fancy tools are involved which is great if you're not one to keep any of those gadgets at home. Actually, I lied. You need a food scale to measure out the chocolate. Besides that, it's perfect for a day where you don't want to put any effort in, like today. 


Ingredients

1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter 

8 ounces plus 6 ounces Hershey's semisweet chocolate chips

3 ounces unsweetened chocolate

3 extra large eggs 

1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa 

1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract 

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar 

1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided 

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt


Directions 

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9 by 12 baking pan. If you don't have this exact size it's okay. It can be a little bigger or a little smaller. 

Melt the butter, 8 ounces of the chocolate chips, and the unsweetened chocolate together in a medium bowl set over simmering water. Allow to cool for 15 minutes. In a large bowl, stir (do not beat) together the eggs, coffee, vanilla, and sugar. Stir the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and allow to cool to room temperature. 

In a medium bowl, sift together 1/2 cup of the flour, the baking powder, and salt and add to the chocolate mixture. Toss the remaining 6 ounces of chocolate chips and the remaining 2 tablespoons of flour in a medium bowl and ass the to the chocolate mixture. Spread evenly in the prepared pan. 

Bake for 35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Don't overbake!

Allow brownies to cool completely before you cut into bars.

If you really want to have a ball, pour some caramel on them. Just pour it all on. Add some marshmallows, nutella, whatever you like. 

If you want an easy recipe for caramel, check back into my posts. I have the recipe in there somewhere. 

Enjoy the deliciousness. I'll be wishing you good fortune into 2016. 


No comments:

Post a Comment