Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Sweet Potato Veggie Burger



I never would of thought I'd end up loving veggie burgers. As someone who used to be a proud carnivore and thought meat was the holy grail of food, I have been proven wrong. That probably stems from me watching way more vegan and vegetarian videos lately that I have ever watched in my life, even though I'm not either of those, yet. Veggies are our friends and can taste good if you give them a chance. 

Behold, my first veggie burger. I wasn't expecting anything great or to taste something I would want right away again. This sandwich shot me down real quick. It was originally supposed to be a falafel burger recipe that I saw on Tumblr. Through the process, I basically changed the whole entire recipe, made it my own and hoped for the best. In the end, thats pretty much what I got. 

This recipe was super easy to make and is great for those who don't own a food processor. Every veggie burger recipe I came across needed a big food processor to accommodate the ingredients. I just used a blender for the small stuff and mashed everything else up by hand.  



Makes 6 patties 


Ingredients

1 can of garbanzo beans

2 medium sweet potatoes 

half of an onion, chopped


2 tablespoons olive oil

1/4 cup fresh basil

half of a lemon, juiced

pinch of salt

panko bread crumbs



Directions  

- Bake sweet potatoes, after pinching them with a fork, in an oven at 400 degrees for 45 minutes.

- While sweet potatoes are baking, pour garbanzo beans into a large bowl and mash with a potato masher or fork

- Dice onions into small pieces 

- Once sweet potatoes are done, add them to the bowl, skin on

- Mash into bean mixture and then incorporate onions

- In a blender or Nutribullet, add olive oil, fresh basil, lemon juice and salt. Blend to combine

- Pour olive oil mixture into bean mixture and mix well

- Store in the refrigerator for 45 minutes to an hour 

- When done chilling, form mixture into patties of desired size. 

- Add panko break crumbs to both sides of the patty 

- Cook patties onto an oiled skillet, about 5-6 minutes each, over medium low heat until brown crust forms on both sides





I couldn't believe how delicious these were. Then again, they're my first veggie burgers so really don't have anything to compare it to. I'm still sure they were pretty awesome. 

I didn't have any burger buns, so I put the patty in-between two thick slices of french brioche bread, topped with mozzarella cheese, organic spring mix with herbs and ripe vine tomatoes. 

I'm sure ill be having these for lunch every day for the next 2 weeks.




No comments:

Post a Comment