Sunday, November 2, 2014

Homemade Peppermint Hot Cocoa



Novemeber 1'st isn't only the day after Halloween. It's also the day we start getting into holiday season mode. Don't get me wrong, I love Halloween. It's right up there with Christmas for me. But, the second it's over, It's spreading holiday cheer all the way. I get my ugly sweater out and DVD's of Elf and How The Grinch Stole Christmas. The temperatures outside are starting to drop down into hibernation season, which makes it perfect weather for hot cocoa. I'm someone who hates the cold and will love anything that keeps me warm. While I was in the supermarket yesterday, the shelves were stacked with all things Christmas. These items included candy canes and one of my favorites, Andes chocolates. Peppermint Hot Cocoa immediately came to mind. I'm more for homemade hot cocoa. The packaged stuff is way to watery and generic while homemade is thick and creamy. It's a dessert in itself. Today was the perfect afternoon to make it. It was windy with an uncomfortable chill in the air. Needless to say, the hot cocoa didn't last too long. I curled up on the couch with a blanket and sipped it as I watched my dad, through the window, clear the yard for our wood delivery. It made me think that this would be even better in front of our wood burning stove. I see many batches of this being made this holiday season. 


Peppermint Hot Cocoa

2 Cups of  Whole Milk

1 Tablespoon of Brown Sugar

4 oz of Bittersweet Chocolate

5 Andes Chocolates

1/8 Tsp of Cinnamon

1/4 Tsp of Vanilla 













Step 1: Pour the milk and cinnamon into a sauce pan and heat on low-medium until it comes to a slight simmer. 

Step 2: Whisk in chocolate and andes chocolates and leave for 1 min. 

Step 3: Turn of heat and whisk in cinnamon and Vanilla. Let steep for 10 minutes. 

Step 4: After 10 minute, turn heat back on until hot cocoa is fully heated. Pour into mug. 


Whipped Cream

1/2 Cup of Heavy Cream 

1 Tablespoon confectioners suger 





Step 1: With a handheld or electric mixer, mix cream until the consistency is thick. 

Step 2: Mix in confectioners sugar 

Step 3: With a piping bag, pie whipped cream on top of Hot cocoa. 

Step 4: Garnish top with crushed candy cane pieces and stick a candy cane on the side for extra peppermint flavor. 



I hope this recipe keeps you as warm as it kept me. :)







No comments:

Post a Comment