Sunday, December 27, 2015

White Egg Nog Hot Chocolate







Considering it's been 60 degrees in New York, my craving for hot chocolate hasn't really been there this season. It's depressing. Usually, I'm complaining about the cold weather, hoping spring would come early. Who would of thought I would actually miss the chill of winter? I guess that's what happens when you're used to growing up with 4 perfect seasons. 

This week has been one big baking binge for me. I have so much left over sweet ingredients that I'm looking for anything to make so they don't get lonely in the kitchen. All that chocolate and sugar needs to be put to good use. I always have my best ideas when I'm laying in bed doing nothing. Even when I'm relaxing, my mind is going. I remembered I had some leftover Egg Nog in the fridge and wanted to do something with it. Egg Nog White Hot Chocolate? Why not?

I cannot stress enough that to make an awesome meal, dessert, drink, whatever it may be, you need to use awesome ingredients. This hot chocolate would not have been the same if I had used some generic brand of Egg Nog and caramel full of preservatives from a jar. Good ingredients are key. 

Let me talk about this Egg Nog for a second. I could drink a whole gallon of it. I actually think I might of on Christmas Eve. My stomach wasn't to happy at the end of the night though. It was creamy and rich but didn't feel like you were drinking cement. Since it was farm fresh and had little to no preservatives, you could see the natural separation in ingredients and had to shake it in order to get that creamy consistency. I highly recommend you purchase this. I also warn you because you wont stop drinking it. 

As for the other Ingredients, I'll list the brands for you. 




White Egg Nog Hot Chocolate

1/2 Cup of Egg Nog - Farm Friend by Trickling Springs Creamery
1/2 cup of Whole Milk - Organic Valley 
1/2 Cup White Chocolate Chips - Ghirardelli
1/4 Teaspoon of Vanilla - Nielsen Massey
1/8 teaspoon of Cinnamon - Frontier CO OP
Marshmallows - Whole Foods Bakery 
Caramel - Homemade (recipe follows)

Caramel

3/4 cup Sugar 
1/4 cup of Water
3 Tablespoons of unsalted Butter (cut into 6 pieces) - Organic Valley
1 cup Whipping Cream - Organic Valley
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla - Nielsen Massey


Directions  


Caramel - Place sugar and water in heavy medium saucepan over medium-low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat and boil without stirring until syrup turns deep amber, occasionally swirling pan, about 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in butter. Carefully add cream since mixture will bubble vigorously, while whisking constantly. Stir over low heat until smooth. Stir in the salt and vanilla  cool to room temperature. If you need it to cool quickly, you can just put it in the fridge and check occasionally until it's at desired consistency. 


Hot Chocolate 

Pour Egg Nog and Milk into a sauce pan. Turn on medium heat. Once at a summer, stir in chocolate chips, cinnamon and vanilla. Take off heat and let it steep for 3 minutes. Put back on heat and bring back to a simmer to warm through. Pour in a mug, top with marshmallows and caramel. Enjoy!





As you can see, it was phenomenal 







No comments:

Post a Comment