Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Taco Tuesday



            I don't know about you, but tortillas out of a plastic bag just don't do it for me. They're stale, flat and the taste is so bland it's like eating floppy cardboard. I've been on the hunt for an easy tortilla recipe that doesn't sacrifice the taste and texture. Most of the ones I came across contained yeast and took a few hours to prepare. I just don't have that kind of patience during the summer, I want an ASAP recipe and relax the rest of the day, tacos in hand.

           Last week I was doing my usual Pinterest surfing for some new ideas. I came across such a foolproof recipe that anyone can do it. You don't need to be an expert and you can have fresh made tortillas within 20 minutes. I have stand mixer with a dough hook so for me it was a less challenging then if you don't own these things. Not that it's hard to mix the dough together with a wooden spoon, just takes a little more elbow grease to get it done.

Ingredients you will need

2 cups Flour
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup of water



In a large bowl, or stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, combine together flour and salt. Next, mix in olive oil and water until dough is well incorporated.

Divide the dough into ten round balls, about the size of a golf ball. Put them back into the bowl and cover with a damp towel so the dough stays moist.

Heat up a large skillet. Working with the dough balls one by one, roll out the ball into a thin circle. Place the rolled dough onto the hot skillet and cook until both sides are golden brown, about 2-3 minutes for each side.

Keep the tortillas covered so that they stay fresh and soft.


This is the part where you realize you will never buy tortillas in a supermarket again. It just seems unnatural. Since I had the bright idea of making these at 10 AM, I made an awesome breakfast quesadilla with eggs, avocado and cheddar cheese. I have a feeling my house will never be empty of these little gems.

                                                   

                                                                    Happy Eating!







No comments:

Post a Comment